Welcome to the Winchendon, MA History and Cultural Center
Interest in Winchendon’s historic past was rekindled in 1930 when a group of about twenty men and women, at the request of Joseph E. White, organized the Winchendon Historical Society. The Beals Memorial Library offered the use of a room in the basement of the library to display their extensive collection of documents and artifacts. The “museum room” in the basement housed the expanding collection of historical artifacts and archival documents for 70 years. The Winchendon Historical Society was incorporated in 1955, and remains a privately held, federally recognized a non-profit organization.
In the year 2000, the Winchendon Historical Society received an incredible gift. The Murdock-Whitney House was bequeathed to the society by Adelaide Hazzard Whitney upon her death on December 31, 2000. In September 2001, the Society began moving its collection to the property where it is located today.
In 2015, the Board of Directors voted to rename the Historical Society to better reflect its changing mission. “The Winchendon History and Cultural Center” was born in the Spring of 2016, including a new home for the Toy Museum with the acquisition of the Isaac Morse House at 135 Front St.
Our mission continues to be preserving the history of Winchendon and bringing art and cultural events to our great little town!
Get to Know Us
- The Board of Directors meets on the third Tuesday of each month.
- Our annual members’ luncheon meeting is held in May in place of the usual board meeting.
- We regularly schedule cultural programs, special events, and exhibits held throughout the year.
The effort to preserve and share the history of Winchendon has been successful through support from our local community. We couldn't do it without your help. Interested in joining us and becoming a member? Please click here.