In 1930 interest in Winchendon’s historical past was rekindled when a group of about twenty men and women, on the call of Joseph E. White, organized the Winchendon Historical Society. The Beals Memorial Library offered the use of a room in basement of the library for the Historical Society’s extensive collection of historical items that were on display at the library. The “museum room” in the basement had been the scene of the expanding collection of historical items and archival documents for 70 years. The Winchendon Historical Society was incorporated in 1955 and is a non-profit organization. The Murdock-Whitney House was bequeathed to the society by Adelaide Hazzard Whitney upon her death December 31, 2000 . It was September 2001 that the Society began its work to move the museum to its present location.
The Board of Directors meets regularly and offers a schedule of cultural programs and special events and exhibits held throughout the year. Our efforts at keeping the Society and its mission of preservation of its collection, and sharing of the history of Winchendon has been successful by its involvement in the community, its outreach to the schools and the support given to researchers.
Institute for Non-Profit Development at MWCC